Sunday, March 4, 2012

Best Day Ever!

It's funny how life gives you just what you need, right when you need it. Obviously, Friday was not a good day for me. But, in the words of the Dancing Queen, Saturday was the best day ever!

A couple of weeks ago, when DQ was sick and not going any where, TRex and the Mad Scientist went to the movies. DQ was sad, but we can't keep TRex boxed up in the house whenever she is stuck here. It is too hard for all of us and he goes stir crazy. To calm the Dancing Queen down, I told her we'd go see "The Lorax" when it came out--just the two of us. She didn't know there was a new movie, but she was so excited because she loves, loves, loves "The Lorax", both the old movies and book. And she hasn't been to the theater since last summer, when we vowed she was too young and had to wait. And she has never done something like the movies or any outing without her brother!

I didn't know that DQ had held on to that promise. I fully intended to keep it, but at my leisure. So, Friday night, after I was sad and spent, I got a phone call from the Mad Scientist. DQ was saying something about seeing "The Lorax" with mommy and nobody else go to go. She had learned the movie came out that day and sure we were going on Saturday.

I couldn't let my sweet girl down, so Saturday morning, we prepped to go. She wanted to see the movie in 3D, but there were no tickets left that fit her nap schedule, so she settled for the 10:15 showing of the "regular" movie. The kids were jumping round the living room, jubilant with the day (TRex was returning to swimming class that he had missed since early December since we missed the sign up for the last session somehow). The Mad Scientist and I decided we'd meet up after at our favorite Mexican restaurant. It was at that point that DQ squealed with delight "This is the best day ever! I don't even have a smile big enough I'm so happy! I get to go to the movies. Then Azteca. And I get to be with my mommy!" Talk about heart melting moments. **Sigh**

DQ and I did go to the movie and she had a wonderful time. She sat so well through the whole thing. I reveled in watching her little face get so excited. And hearing her exclaim: "He's the one who cuts down the trees!" and ask me "Why is that the last tree, mommy?"

Lunch with the family was wonderful. TRex got his usual bean burrito. DQ ordered a bean enchilada, but preferred the tamale I ordered and the Mad Scientist's shrimp chimichangas. The perfect morning!

Today, we continue with the fun. First, the kids and the MS built a park in the living room.
 
It makes me smile from ear to ear to listen to their squeals as they have fun together. Eventually, the park turned into a forest. And DQ was the Lorax. She spoke for the trees.
This afternoon, I plan to do something actual work, but we're also busy getting things ready for a very special butterfly birthday party that is coming so soon.
 
 Life is good.

7 comments:

  1. Yay! It makes me smile to know you BOTH had a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been mulling over your previous post and thinking about replying.  My heart goes out to you and I always send hope for the best to all of you.  However, I'm just going to focus on this post and "the best day ever"!  A "girls only" morning at the movies is a very good thing!  I used to love taking the boys.  I spent more time staring at them than I did the movie most of the time.  It was all so magical.  I have a message for the D.Q.  Please tell her that once upon a time, I lived in a place called La Jolla.  So did Dr. Seuss.  I lived in a regular house.  He lived in a lighthouse!!  I never actually met him but his wife used to come to our village bookstore and pick up books for him to sign.  My boys have lots of Dr. Seuss books that he signed.  It was great fun to know he lived close by and we pretended that, someday, we'd invite him to dinner and make him green eggs and ham!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Bonnie! You are such a great support. I think I just needed some time to get over Friday. I had to get it out there, my catharsis, and move on.

    DQ loved the idea of having green eggs and ham with Dr. Suess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you all had a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to see your sweet family happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so amazing to me the super clever ways kids come up with to amuse themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Having a child with a CHD is like being given an extra sense---the true ability to appreciate life. Each breath, each hug, each meal is a blessing when you've watched your child live off a ventilator, trapped in an ICU bed, being fed through a tube. Each minute is a miracle when you've watched your child almost die and come back to you.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...