Thursday, August 25, 2011

Please, Help Me!

I started this blog as my place to let it out. To yell at the world since there were no blogs that I could find with other heart moms who work full time as a lawyer.  Nobody else was trying to balance with all of the extra stuff that I have going on. I had no intention of getting followers or any such stuff. This blog was purely my outlet.

All of that remains true. I have no intention of trying to take my blog to the next level, of putting in the enormous energies required to build a huge following or of marketing myself. But, I have learned that there are a lot of moms out there that I connect with, even if they are not heart moms or they don't have a job or they are not even moms at all. I really enjoy meeting people in the blogosphere and social media.

I really enjoy blogging too, but I want to connect more because that is what is exciting.  I created a Facebook page so that I could more fully interact with people outside of comments to the blog (which are not all that interactive--need to work on better comment functionality when I find time).  Facebook is working very well for the purpose I intended.  However, there is one big, huge problem with the Facebook page: I am compulsive.

174597_20531316728_2866555_nWhat does that have to do with Facebook, you ask. Well, it is simple. In order to have a proper Facebook name for my page, I need to have at least 25 people like me. I only have 20. And the compulsive side of me is driven crazy that there are a bunch of crazy numbers at the end of my Facebook page. I mean look at how ugly this link is: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Funambulism-for-Beginners/178233102225008.  I really just want to name it something easy to remember and not quite so random. So, can you please help me out and like my facebook page if you haven't already? And if you have already liked the page, ask a friend to like it for me. If you don't want to see my posts, I won't be offended if you hide me. My compulsive side just can't handle looking at those crazy numbers any more! And once I am able to change the name, I'm sure Facebook can't take it away, so you can unlike the page and I'll be fine with that too.  The numbers have been driving me batty for over 4 months.

(And now I will lose some of my followers because they realize I am a wee bit crazy and I'm okay with that cause I am a wee bit crazy.)

Anywho, since you all know I'm crazy now. I also joined twitter because a lot more conversations take place on twitter than on Facebook. The Twitter address is lovely: http://twitter.com/MomOnALine and even better is the simple @MomOnALine. See, no silly numbers to muck the whole thing up, but I still have problems there as well.  The problem with Twitter is that I don't have a ton of time and always feel like I'm jumping into somebody else's conversations and don't know what to do or how to do it. Can any experienced tweeps help me out and tell me what I should do?  Would lists help? I'm not certain of their particular purpose. Are they to help others find like-minded individuals or are they for something else? And how do I stop people from posting to me with sales junk? (I've been blocking them.)

I know if I dedicated a good amount of time to tweeting, I could get it. But, I don't really have the time to dedicate. Perhaps that means I shouldn't tweet? I don't know. Can you help me?

Evidently, I'm a social media dweeb and I need help!

Please like my Facebook page by following the link below:

174597_20531316728_2866555_n

And if you are on twitter and want to tweet me advice, I can be found at the link below or @MomOnALine:

1 comment:

  1. Twitter does take some time. I think the biggest thing you can do to build respect is re-tweet other tweets. People love when you retweet their posts, so add a short little intro to it and RT things that you think would be interesting to your followers. This builds good will quickly. Make a goal, like three RT a day, one personal tweet and three responses to other people. Little by little, you'll build an audience that way. Also, make sure you're following the right people! There are places you can search by the words people have tagged themselves with. Or search by a particular hashtag, like #CHD. Sorry if you know all of this already! I have been tweeting for a few years now with three different names. It's crazy! I can't keep up most days, but I do think these tips can help.

    ReplyDelete

Having a child with a CHD is like being given an extra sense---the true ability to appreciate life. Each breath, each hug, each meal is a blessing when you've watched your child live off a ventilator, trapped in an ICU bed, being fed through a tube. Each minute is a miracle when you've watched your child almost die and come back to you.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...